Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chicken or Egg

I am preparing for an upcoming sermon series on Hell. It has me thinking a good deal about the different ways that we try avoid the whole notion. In some corners of our nation, we dismiss the idea all together, but in Texas, it seems to me that we are more likely to lower the bar of salvation low enough so that we can console ourselves into believing that most everyone has already jumped over it.

The troubling thing about this "cheap grace" approach to salvation is that it seems to be a rather large issue to our Lord. Jesus warns that on the day of judgment many will cry "Lord, Lord," only to be reminded that "The Lord" never knew them. In the same manner, most all the parables that talk about Hell end with someone who claims to be in, being out.

It all seems rather back handed to me at times. We don't work to earn our salvation it is a gift of God's grace alone, but if we are saved certain actions and attitudes will surface in our lives. In my devotional time this morning, Oswald reminded me that sanctification is God's certain work in all those who have trusted Christ.

  • Sanctification means the impartation of the holy qualities of Jesus Christ to me. It is the gift of His patience, love, holiness, faith, purity, and godliness that is exhibited in and through every sanctified soul. Sanctification is not drawing from Jesus the power to be holy— it is drawing from Jesus the very holiness that was exhibited in Him, and that He now exhibits in me. Sanctification is an impartation, not an imitation. Imitation is something altogether different. The perfection of everything is in Jesus Christ, and the mystery of sanctification is that all the perfect qualities of Jesus are at my disposal. Consequently, I slowly but surely begin to live a life of inexpressible order, soundness, and holiness— ". . . kept by the power of God . . ." ( 1 Peter 1:5 ).
The 19th century theologians used to call this idea perseverance. If you have given your life to Christ then you will persevere. It will take time, but at the end of life it is becomes obvious that God has been at work in your life. If you are saved, you will work for the Lord. You won't do it because you are forced but because the Holy Spirit has written a passion for people and their needs on your heart as a part of your sanctification.

It's never our place to judge who is in and who is out in eternal matters, but the work of God to sanctify us is a great affirmation that "He who began a good work in you will complete it."

2 comments:

David Land said...

How very strange I should go from Facebook to your page today. I went to FBC Kaufman growing up, and Kay Miller is one of my best friends. I attend a church in the Dallas area, and the "lowering the bar" analogy has occurred to me in the past few day also. I was thinking of one bible class member who has had much difficulty with her daughter, announced a few weeks ago that she had a phone call from her daughter and that she was pregnant, unmarried of course. Then the other day, she was with her son at a gathering and I asked him if they were getting married, and he said probably so soon. His mother said, yes she is pregnant. While I'm sure these thing distress the mom, I thought how easy it was to blurt out to everyone. It made me visualize just throwing a bar to the ground and just asking, who can reach over it? A characteristic of the Christian life is "struggle". Or at least it has been to me. At 52 I still do! I grew up reading Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest devotional. I struggled to change how my natural mind worked to be Christlike and wished to imitate His life. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about "the bar".
David Land.

David Land said...

OH I just noticed the date was back in July...Haha. Well sometime you'll find what I wrote!